MoP® Foundation and Practitioner
Why should I take the Management of Portfolios Foundation and Practitioner course?
You should attend Management of Portfolios training if you are working in project portfolio management. Project portfolio management ensures that your organization selects and manages the projects and programs which make the best contribution to your corporate objectives. MoP does this by establishing a clear line of sight between strategy and delivery of the portfolio. This Practitioner level course gives you the ability to analyze portfolio situations and apply best practice to make decisions using the MoP method. It is, therefore, suitable for senior managers responsible for the delivery of the corporate change portfolio.
Who should attend this class?
Typical job roles include
- C-level executives including: CFO, CAO, COO, CIO and Executive / Senior VP
- Senior managers responsible for long term planning and strategy
- Portfolio / Program Office staff who manage portfolio delivery or enable portfolio level decision making
- Portfolio, Program and Senior Project Managers responsible for delivering change initiatives in the portfolio
What is included:
The course includes:
- 4.5-days classroom training from a MoP Approved Trainer
- Official manual: “Management of Portfolios”
- Accredited course material including sample exam questions
- MoP Foundation and Practitioner exams + Certificate
- 39 PDUs if you are a PMP
What will I learn:
- Prioritize projects and programs according to strategic needs
- Balance the competing needs of change management and business as usual
- Create a Portfolio Strategy and Delivery Plan to align with corporate objectives
- Apply portfolio management techniques such as decision conferencing and multi-criteria analysis
- Improve management control of the portfolio using stage gates and management by exception
- Reduce overall risk by establishing dependencies between projects and programs
- Provide an energized change culture to ensure people are engaged and focused on delivering change.
What are the course prerequisites:
You should be working in or have a good knowledge of project portfolio management or be a senior project manager. You need to complete about 3 hours of study before the course. We’ll provide all the reading materials you need and a trainer to support your learning before you come to class.
What are the course contents:
This is the full PEOPLECERT International MoP course. It covers the MoP syllabus to Practitioner level.
Key Learning Points:
What is Portfolio Management
- Background & Definitions
- Portfolio Management Models
- Benefits of Portfolio Management & some misconceptions
Strategic and Organizational context
- Portfolio Management vs. Business as Usual
- Portfolio Management and strategic & business planning
- Portfolio Management and budgeting and resource allocation
- Portfolio Management and Programme and Project Management
- Portfolio Management and performance management
- Portfolio Management and Corporate Governance
- Portfolio Management and corporate functions
5 Principles of Portfolio Management
- Senior Management commitment
- Governance alignment
- Strategy alignment
- Portfolio Office
- Energized change culture
Portfolio Management Cycles
- Implementing & Sustaining Portfolio Management
- Using organizational energy
- Portfolio Definition & Delivery cycles
Portfolio definition cycle
Portfolio delivery cycle
- Management control
- Benefits management
- Financial management
- Risk management
- Stakeholder engagement
- Organizational governance
- Resource management
Portfolio Analysis Techniques
- Driver based contribution assessment
- Three-point estimating
- Multi criteria analysis
- Decision conferencing
- Staged release of funding
- Financial analysis of the Portfolio
Which exams are included in this course?
This course includes the MoP Foundation and Practitioner exams.
MoP Foundation exam
This is your first MoP exam designed to test your knowledge and understanding of MoP
- 50 multiple choice questions with 1 mark for each question
- Closed book exam
- 40 minutes duration
- 50% needed to pass so a score of 25 / 50 is required
MoP Practitioner Exam
Your second MoP exam tests your ability to apply the MoP guidance to a realistic scenario. You are required to show that you can analyze situations and make decisions using the standard appropriately. You must pass the Foundation exam to sit the Practitioner.
- 4 Objective Testing style questions with 20 points per question. A total of 80 marks are available
- Questions are in different formats including classic multiple choice, matching, sequencing and assertion / reason
- Open book exam, but only the official MoP manual can be used
- 3-hours duration
- 50% needed to pass so a score of 40 / 80 is required
When are the exams taken?
Your Foundation exam is taken on Wednesday afternoon. Your Practitioner exam is taken on Friday.
How does the course prepare me for the MoP Foundation and Practitioner exams?
The course follows the official MoP Foundation and Practitioner exam syllabus. The accredited training materials are cross referenced to areas of the exam so that you are fully prepared. During the course, you practice with the latest exam papers from PEOPLECERT International. Day 4 of the course is dedicated to practicing for your Practitioner exam and our expert trainer will guide you through a series of exercises and discussions to get you ready for the exam itself.
Do I need ID for the MoP exams?
You must bring photographic ID with you. A driver’s license or passport is fine. A work ID, with photograph, is also acceptable.
How long does my MoP qualification last?
The MoP Foundation and Practitioner qualifications are permanent. You will receive a certificate attesting your certification for a lifetime.
What happens if I don’t pass a MoP exam?
If you don’t pass the Foundation exam you can do a re-sit.
If you feel insecure about the Practitioner exam it is also possible to take the Take2 option as an insurance. You can purchase the re-sit in advance for a fraction of the price which represents a discount of 75%. Then, you will be able to re-sit the exam online within the following 6 months.
Can I just take the MoP exams with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for MoP, so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
MoP® is a registered trademark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved. The Swirl logo™ is a trademark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
This MoP® course is offered through ATO OKAZY Consulting, except in Ottawa through ATO Algonquin College.
MoP® Foundation and Practitioner
This Practitioner level course gives you the ability to analyze portfolio situations and apply best practice to make decisions using the MoP method. It is, therefore, suitable for senior managers responsible for the delivery of the corporate change portfolio. Includes: 4.5-days classroom training from an accredited instructor, manual, material and 2 exams.Find out more »