Managing Benefits™ Foundation
Why should I take the Managing Benefits Foundation course?
Benefits realization is the reason your organization spends money on projects and programs. Until Managing Benefits there was no systematic, multi-disciplinary guidance to show you how to do this effectively and in detail. Managing Benefits aims to help organizations address the problem of demonstrating return on investments. It provides managers and practitioners from multiple disciplines, working in a variety of organizations, with generally applicable guidance encompassing benefits management principles, practices and techniques.
Who should attend this class?
The Managing Benefits Foundation course is designed for anyone requiring an introduction to the role of ensuring that the organization makes best use of investments by maximizing the benefits from projects, programs and the portfolio. This will include:
- Senior responsible owners & directors of change.
- Strategic planners and policy leads.
- Business case developers and project appraisers.
- Portfolio, Programme & Project Managers.
- Portfolio, Programme & Project Office staff
What is included:
The course includes:
- 3-days classroom training from a Managing Benefits Approved Trainer
- Official manual: “Managing Benefits “
- Accredited course material including sample exam questions
- Managing Benefits Foundation exam + Certificate
- 28 PDUs if you are a PMP
What will I learn:
- Definitions, scope and objectives of benefits management, barriers to its effective practice, and the key success characteristics.
- 7 Principles upon which successful approaches to benefits management are based.
- Five Practices contained within the Benefits Management Cycle and relevant techniques applicable to each practice.
- Scope of key roles and responsibilities for benefits management and the typical contents of the main benefits management documentation.
- Approaches to implementation and the factors to consider in sustaining progress
What are the course prerequisites:
There are no prerequisites to take this course. Experience in project, portfolio or program management is beneficial. You need to complete about 5 hours of study before the course. We’ll provide all the reading materials you need to get prepared before you come to class.
What are the course contents:
This is the APMG-International Managing Benefits Foundation course. It covers the Managing Benefits syllabus to Foundation level.
Key Learning Points:
What is Benefits Management and why do we need it?
- Definitions – benefits and benefits management
- Value and value management
- Why do we need benefits management?
- Objectives of benefits management
Barriers to success
- Common misconceptions about benefits realization
- The knowing – doing gap
- Cognitive bias
- Organizational pressures
Benefits Management Principles
- Align benefits with strategy
- Start with the end in mind
- Utilize successful delivery methods
- Integrate benefits with performance measurement
- Management benefits from a portfolio perspective
- Apply effective governance
- Develop a value culture
Benefits Management cycle
- The benefits managements cycle
- Integrating benefits into the wider organizational context
- Key success characteristics
- Key roles, responsibilities and documentation
Benefits Management practices
- Identify & Quantify
- Value & Appraise
- Plan – 4 themes that underpin benefits planning
- Realize – transition, tracking and optimizing benefits
- Review – initiative led and independent reviews
Portfolio based Benefits Management
- The scope of portfolio-based benefits management
- Key documentation and roles
Applying Benefits Management techniques
- Reference class forecasting / Delphi technique / Probability based forecasting
- Driver based analysis
- Investment logic mapping
- Benefits map
- Benefits eligibility rules
- Customer insight
- Multi-criteria analysis
Tools and templates
- Benefits management skills and competencies log
- Benefits logic map
- Managing benefits health check assessment
Which exam is included in this course?
This course includes the Managing Benefits Foundation exam.
Managing Benefits Foundation exam
The Managing Benefits Foundation exam is designed to test your knowledge and understanding of Managing Benefits
- 50 multiple choice questions
- Closed book exam
- 40 minutes duration
- 50% needed to pass – 25 correct marks
When is the exam taken?
Your Foundation exam is taken on Wednesday afternoon.
How does the course prepare me for the Managing Benefits Foundation exam?
The course follows the official Managing Benefits Foundation syllabus. The accredited training materials are cross referenced to areas of the exams so that you are fully prepared. During the course, you practice with the latest exam papers from APMG-International.
Do I need ID for the Managing Benefits exam?
You must bring photographic ID with you. A driver’s license or passport is fine. A work ID, with photograph, is also acceptable.
How long does my Managing Benefits Foundation qualification last?
The Managing Benefits Foundation qualification is permanent. You will receive a lifetime certificate.
What happens if I don’t pass the Managing Benefits exam?
If you don’t pass your Managing Benefits Foundation exam you can retake a different paper immediately. All our exam packs include spare papers so you can re-take the test the same day. But relax: most people pass Foundation level exams first time around. Do the work, read the book and you will be okay. The immediate retake is there as a safety net if you need it.
Can I just take the Managing Benefits exam with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for Managing Benefits, so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
APMG International Managing Benefits™ is a trademark of The APM Group Limited. All rights reserved. The APMG International Managing Benefits and Swirl Device is a trademark of The APM Group Limited, used under permission of The APM Group Limited. All rights reserved.
This APMG Managing Benefits™ course is offered through ATO OKAZY Consulting, except in Ottawa through ATO Algonquin College.
Managing Benefits™ Foundation
This Foundation level course gives you a detailed understanding of generally applicable guidance encompassing benefits management principles, practices and techniques. This level is a prerequisite for the Practitioner qualification. Includes: 3-days classroom training from an accredited instructor, manual, material and 1 exam.Find out more »