Better Business Cases™ Foundation and Practitioner
Why should I take the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner course?
The Business Case is the most important document in your project. It sets out WHY your project is worth doing and WHAT benefits it will deliver. Better Business Cases training helps you justify your spending proposals using an officially approved process.
Better Business Cases (BBC) is a systematic and objective approach to develop the business case. It sits alongside the HM Treasury’s Green Book guidance. The syllabus is based on the Welsh Government’s Five Case Model and the publication ‘Delivering Public Value from Spending Proposals Green Book Guidance on Public Sector Businesses Cases Using the Five Case Model’ which works with Green Book guidance. BBC is already in use with the UK, Welsh and New Zealand Governments.
Who should attend this class?
The Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner training is designed for anyone with a role in ensuring that the organization makes best use of investments by maximizing the benefits from projects, programs and the portfolio. This will include:
- Program and project managers
- Business case developers and analysts
- PMO teams in Portfolio, Program or Project offices
- Accountants or Financial Advisors
- Business Analysts
- Directors of Finance and Procurement and Planning
What is included:
The course includes:
- 4.5-days classroom training from a Better Business Cases Approved Trainer
- Official manual: “International Guide to developing the Project/Program Business Case” (Electronic version)
- Accredited course material including sample exam questions
- Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner exam + Certificate
- 36 PDUs if you are a PMP
What will I learn:
- The philosophy and underlying rationale of the Five Case Model.
- The different types of business case, their purpose, who is responsible for them and when they are required in the development of a spending proposal.
- The development of the business case in relation to other recognized and recommended best practice for programme and project management.
- Apply the Five Case model
- Fit with best practice assurance and approvals
What are the course prerequisites:
There are no prerequisites to take this course. You need to complete about 1 hour of study before the course. We’ll provide all the reading materials you need to get prepared before you come to class.
What are the course contents:
This is the APMG-International Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner course. It covers the Better Business Cases syllabus to Practitioner level.
Key Learning Points:
Understanding Better Business Cases
- Why is the business case important?
- 8 common causes of project failure
5 Types of Business Case you can use
- Strategic Outline Programme
- Strategic Outline Case
- Outline Business Case
- Full or Final Business Case
- Business Justification Case
Applying the 5 Case Model
- Strategic Case – is it applicable?
- Economic Case – is it appropriate?
- Commercial Case – is it attractive?
- Financial Case – is it affordable?
- Management Case – it is achievable?
How BBC works with Best Practice
- Project and programme management
- Gateway review process
Practical exercises and discussions
- The Strategic Outline Programme for policy, regulation and grants programmes
- How to develop the business case from Strategic Outline to Full Business case
- Using the Business Justification Case for minor spending proposals
Which exams are included in this course?
This course includes the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner exams.
Better Business Cases Foundation exam
The Better Business Cases Foundation exam is designed to test your knowledge and understanding of Better Business Cases
- 50 multiple choice questions
- Closed book exam
- 40 minutes duration
- 50% needed to pass – 25 correct marks
Better Business Cases Practitioner exam
Your second Better Business Cases exam tests your ability to apply the BBC guidance to a realistic scenario. You are required to show that you can analyze situations and make decisions using the standard appropriately. You must pass the Foundation exam to sit the Practitioner
- 4 Objective Testing style questions with 20 points per question. A total of 80 marks are available
- Open book exam, but only the International Guide to developing the Project/Program Business Case can be used
- 2.5-hour duration
- 50% needed to pass – 40 correct marks
When is the exam taken?
Your Foundation exam is taken on Wednesday afternoon. Your Practitioner exam is taken on Friday Morning
How does the course prepare me for the Better Business Cases exams?
The course follows the official Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner exam syllabus. The accredited training materials are cross referenced to areas of the exams so that you are fully prepared. During the course, you practice with the latest exam papers from APMG-International. Day 4 of the course is dedicated to practicing for your Practitioner exam and our expert trainer will guide you through a series of exercises and discussions to get you ready for the exam itself.
Do I need ID for the Better Business Cases exam?
You must bring photographic ID with you. A driver’s license or passport is fine. A work ID, with photograph, is also acceptable.
How long does my Better Business Cases qualification last?
The Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner qualifications are permanent. You will receive a lifetime certificate.
What happens if I don’t pass the Better Business Cases exams?
If you don’t pass your Better Business Cases Foundation exam you can retake a different paper immediately. All our exam packs include spare papers so you can re-take the test the same day. But relax: most people pass Foundation level exams first time around. Do the work, read the book and you will be okay. The immediate retake is there as a safety net if you need it. If you don’t pass the Practitioner exam you will find this out by email a week after taking the class. You can retake the Practitioner exam online 24/7 for an additional fee.
Can I just take the Better Business Cases exams with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for Better Business Cases, so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
Better Business Cases™ is a trademark of Her Majesty’s Treasury. All rights reserved. The APMG International Better Business Cases and Swirl Device logo is a trademark of The APM Group Limited, used under permission of The APM Group. All rights reserved.
This APMG Better Business Cases™ course is offered through ATO OKAZY Consulting.
Better Business Cases™ Foundation and Practitioner
No courses available for the moment.Aucune formation disponible pour le moment.