PRINCE2 FOUNDATION AND PRACTITIONER
Why should I take the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course?
The PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course is suitable if you will be a Project or Team Manager in a PRINCE2 project. Consultants, PMO staff and Program Managers will all the find the course beneficial. If you are looking to enhance your CV and demonstrate PRINCE2 skills at the highest level, then PRINCE2 Practitioner is your best option. The course gives you the ability to analyze project situations using PRINCE2 and make decisions by tailoring the method appropriately. The course will help you to apply PRINCE2 and provide explanations for the correct use of the method in different circumstances.
Who should attend this class?
Typical job roles include:
- Project managers and aspiring project managers
- Project team managers and support staff
- Managers or program managers
- Project management consultants
What is included?
The course includes:
- 5-days classroom training from a PRINCE2 Approved Trainer
- Official PRINCE2 manual: "Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2"
- Accredited course material including sample exam questions
- PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner exams + Certificate
- 59 PDUs if you are a PMP
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will be ready to:
- Gather requirements accurately using Product Based Planning and the Quality Theme
- Manage Risk proactively using your Risk Management Strategy
- Report and make recommendations to senior management using management by exception
- Manage your projects to an international standard
- Take and pass the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner exams
What are the course prerequisites?
You should be working in or have a good knowledge of project management. You need to complete about 10-20 hours of study before the course. We'll provide all the reading materials you need so you will be well prepared before you come to class.
What are the course contents?
This is the official PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course approved by Peoplecert. The course covers the complete PRINCE2 syllabus to Practitioner level and includes examination practice.
Key Learning Points
- PRINCE and the Big Picture
- 7 Principles
- 7 Processes
- 7 Themes
- Creating the project management team
- Defining roles and responsibilities
- Tailoring the project governance to different types of project
Starting up a Project
- Writing a Project Brief
- The essential Business Case
- Answering the vital question: "do we have a viable and worthwhile project?"
Initiating a Project
- Preparing project Strategies for Risk, Quality and Communications
- Creating the Project Plan
- Assembling the Project Initiation Document
- Defining Customer Quality Expectations
- Quality management, planning and control
- Levels of plan and the planning horizon
- Using the Product Based Planning technique
- Writing Product Descriptions documents
Progress and Change
- Technical vs Management stages - which is best?
- Dealing with Issues and change
- Management by exception
- Management by stages
- Writing the Risk management strategy
- Using a Risk management procedure
- Implementing appropriate risk management responses
Directing a Project
- Authorizing project initiation
- Authorizing the project and individual stages
- Giving ad-hoc direction and steering through problems
Running a Project
- Controlling a Stage: managing project teams and work packages
- Managing Product Delivery: build and test products
- Managing a Stage Boundary: look back, look at the big picture, look forward to the next stage
Closing a Project
- Planned and premature close
- Evaluating the project
- Writing the End Project and Lessons Learned Reports
- Course Introduction
- Overview of PRINCE2 & Principles
- Starting Up a Project
- Initiating a Project
- The Business Case
- Review of Day 1
- Plans and Product Based Planning
- Directing a Project & Progress
- Controlling a Stage & Progress
- Homework including practice exams
- Review of Day 2
- Managing Product Delivery
- Managing a Stage Boundary
- Closing a Project
- PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- Review of Day 3
- Practitioner exam – tips & technique
- Revision of key areas
- Practitioner exam questions
- Homework – revision for Practitioner exam
- Review of Day 4
- PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
Which exams are included in this course?
This course includes the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner exams.
PRINCE2 Foundation exam
This is your first PRINCE2 exam designed to test your knowledge and understanding of PRINCE2
- 60 multiple choice questions with 1 mark for each question
- Closed book exam
- 1 hour duration
- 55% needed to pass so a score of 33 / 60 is required
PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
Your second PRINCE2 exam tests your ability to apply the PRINCE2 methodology with a scenario. A Foundation exam pass is required before you can take the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam
- 68 multiple choice questions
- Open book exam, but only the official PRINCE2 manual can be used
- 2.5 hours duration
- 55% needed to pass so a score of 38 / 68 is required
When are the exams taken?
Your Foundation exam is taken on Wednesday afternoon. Your Practitioner exam is taken on Friday.
How does the course prepare me for the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner exams?
Before attending class, we will provide you with detailed preparation material. Day 4 of the course is dedicated to practice for your Practitioner exam and our PRINCE2 trainer will guide you through a series of exercises and discussions to get you ready for the exam itself.
Do I need ID for the PRINCE2 exams?
You must bring photographic ID with you. A driver's license or passport is fine. A work ID, with photograph, is also acceptable.
How long does my PRINCE2 qualification last?
The Practitioner qualification must be renewed every 3 years to maintain your status as an PRINCE2 Registered Practitioner.
Registered practitioners certified under version 2017 will have the option of adhering to the Axelos Membership program (Free the 1st year) and earn 20 CPD points every year to remain current.
What happens if I don't pass a PRINCE2 exam?
If you don't pass your PRINCE2 Foundation exam you can retake a different paper immediately. All our exam packs include spare papers so you can re-take the test the same day. But relax: to date 99% of our students have passed their PRINCE2 Foundation exam first time around. Do the work, read the book and you will be OK. The immediate retake is there as a safety net if you need it. If you don't pass the Practitioner exam you will find this out by email a few weeks after taking the class. We'll send you your score and a question by question breakdown of your paper. You can retake the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam at the next class or online for an additional fee.
Can I just take the PRINCE2 exams with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for PRINCE2 so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
Do I need to be a project or project manager to attend this class?
Some knowledge of project management is good but it is not essential.
Where is the class held?
Our courses are held at quality downtown venues in all major Canadian cities. You will be close to transport links and parking.
What are the class hours?
- Monday -> Friday: 8.30 AM to 4:30 PM
- On Friday, the class may finish early after your Practitioner exam.
How do I prepare for PRINCE2 training?
You have about 10-20 hours of preparation to do before you attend the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course. Before the class, we will send you the official PRINCE2 manual: “Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2” as well as Reading List and sample exam questions. During the pre-course, you read key chapters of the manual and answer exam questions to test your knowledge and understanding. It seems a lot at first but the more work you can do in advance of the course, the better. Even if you don’t 100% understand things before you come along – don’t worry. If you’ve done the work, our trainers are experts in PRINCE2. We’ll get you understanding the method in no time at all.
I am a PMP, do I get credit for prior learning?
Yes, if you are a current PMP or CAPM you are not required to take the PRINCE2 Foundation exam and go straight to the Practitioner level. You still need to gain Foundation level knowledge of PRINCE2 but it’s one less exam to worry about. Check out our course PRINCE2 for PMPs.
Do I need to log project management experience before the course?
PRINCE2 does not require you to log hours of project management experience before training. The PRINCE2 approach is a bit like learning to drive: you certify and then practice.
Can I split the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course?
Yes. You have a busy schedule so 5 days out of office may not be possible. Also, you may prefer to take the Foundation first, apply some of your new knowledge and then come back and upgrade to Practitioner. We don't charge you extra if you book the course as one event, but take it on two different occasions.
How many PDUs do I get for this course?
PMPs can claim 59 PDUs at the PMI for the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course. (36 Technical PDUs, 12 Leadership PDUs, 11 Strategic PDUs)