MANAGING SUCCESSFUL PROGRAMMES Online Learning
Why should I take MSP Online Learning?
MSP online learning gives you a convenient and cost-effective route to MSP certification. You can fit the study around your own schedule and continue to work while you add MSP to your qualifications in your own time. Our material is developed by experts and fully accredited.
The MSP Online Foundation and Practitioner course will give you the skills and knowledge for leadership roles in major change programs. As a certified MSP Practitioner, you will be ready to apply the MSP themes, principles and transformational flow to different types of program. You will be able to tailor MSP to different types of program and analyze program situations to make appropriate decisions. As a qualified MSP Practitioner, you will be able to align multiple projects with strategic requirements and co-ordinate product delivery to ensure real benefits for your organization.
Can I see a Demo of your MSP Online Learning?
Yes. Request a MSP demo and we'll set you up with a preview so you can try out the system first
Who should take this course?
Typical job roles include:
- Program Sponsor, Director or Senior Responsible Owner responsible for delivering the program
- Program Managers responsible for the set up, management and delivery of a program
- Portfolio / Program Office staff who provide information and standards to the program management team
- Business Change Managers or Change Agents who work with the program to embed new products into business as usual and realize benefits
- Project Managers who manage projects in the program or want to advance their career to the program level
What is included in the MSP e-learning package?
The course includes:
- MSP official manual: "Managing Successful Programmes"
- 1 year access to our accredited MSP e-Learning material
- Full practice exam papers
- Dashboard and Module reporting so you can track your progress
- MSP Foundation and Practitioner Online exams 24/7 (webcam required)
- 40 PDUs if you are a PMP
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will be ready to:
- Create value by ensuring that program investment is aligned with strategic needs
- Lead change by managing complex tasks and multiple stakeholders
- Plan and control programs using the MSP transformational flow
- Deliver measurable improvements with the tools in MSP's benefits management theme
- Manage multiple projects to deliver new capabilities
- Reduce uncertainty and aggregate risks and issues at the program level
- Identify and communicate the better future which will be delivered by your program
- Take and pass the MSP Foundation and Practitioner exams
What are the course prerequisites?
You should be working in or have a good knowledge of program management.
What are the course contents?
This is the official MSP Foundation and Practitioner course approved by Peoplecert. The course covers the complete MSP syllabus to Practitioner level and includes examination practice.
Key Learning Points
An introduction to MSP
- What is program management
- Why use program management
- Types of program: vision led, emergent or compliance
- Program impacts - specification led, business transformation or political & societal change
- When to use MSP
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on the benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
MSP Governance themes
- Program organization
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- The Business Case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The MSP transformational flow
- Identifying a program
- Defining a program
- Managing the tranches
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a program
MSP Practitioner Exam Preparation
- Sample Practitioner Exam Paper
- Exam Tips and Technique
MSP Foundation & Practitioner Exams
Which exams are included in this course?
This course includes the MSP Foundation and Practitioner exams.
MSP Foundation exam
This is your first MSP exam designed to test your knowledge and understanding of MSP
- 75 multiple choice questions with 1 mark for each question
- Closed book exam
- 1 hour duration
- 50% needed to pass
- 5 questions are trial questions so a score of 35 / 70 is required to pass
MSP Practitioner Exam
Your second MSP exam tests your ability to apply the MSP framework to a standard program situation. You will be required to adapt MSP to the circumstances of a specific program and apply the framework appropriately. A Foundation exam pass is required before you can take the MSP Practitioner exam
- 8 Objective Testing style questions with 10 points per question
- Questions are in different formats including classic multiple choice, matching, sequencing and assertion / reason
- Open book exam, but only the official MSP manual can be used
- 2.5 hours duration
- 50% needed to pass
- There are no trial questions so the Practitioner pass mark is 40 / 80
Where do I take the MSP exams?
When you are ready to take the exams, we will send you a prepaid exam voucher. You will be able to schedule the exams in the portal anytime you want 24/7. A webcam is required to identify yourself to the proctor with a photographic ID and then you can do the exam online from home.
What's the best way to prepare for the MSP exams?
Set your exam date first. Then work towards it. The material takes 40 hours study to get you to Practitioner level. So, work out how long that is going to take you and then book the exams. This way you have a clear target to aim at. This will help you stay on schedule
How long does my MSP qualification last?
The MSP Foundation qualification is permanent. The Practitioner qualification must be renewed every 5 years to maintain your status as an MSP Registered Practitioner.
What happens if I don't pass a MSP exam?
If you don't pass a MSP exam you can retake a different one. We'll send you your score and a question by question breakdown of your paper. You can retake the MSP exam online for an additional fee.
Can I just take the MSP exams with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for MSP so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
Do I need to be a project or program manager to take this course?
This course is designed for senior management and their colleagues who are responsible for a projects and/or programs. It is helpful if you have some knowledge of project / program management but it is not essential.
How many hours of study are required to pass the exams?
You need about 20 hours study to get ready for the Foundation exam. And 20 hours more to get to Practitioner level.
Do I need to pass PRINCE2 before taking the MSP course?
You don't need to pass or have any knowledge of PRINCE2 project management to take MSP training. If you are a Program Sponsor or Program Manager you are not required to manage the individual projects in your program so PRINCE2 is not essential before taking the MSP course. MSP and PRINCE2 share a common glossary of terms so, if you have taken PRINCE2, you will already know some of the terminology which is used in MSP.
How does MSP distinguish between a project and program?
For MSP, a program is a temporary structure set up to co-ordinate related projects and activities. Although a program is temporary it's life span will probably be several years and the end may not be exactly determined, although the program is always working towards this. The program delivers outcomes and benefits to achieve strategic objectives. In contrast, a project has a well-defined life span and produces clear outputs or products according to a specified business case. The MSP course shows you how to distinguish between a large project and a program and when it would be suitable to apply MSP
Do I need to log program management experience before the course?
No. You are not required to show experience of program management before taking a MSP course or taking exams. The course pre-requisites are to complete the pre-course work which we will provide on registration.
Can you compare MSP online vs classroom?
Good question. MSP online learning is flexible - you can fit the learning around your schedule. You don't have to take time off to attend a course and you can work anywhere - at home, on the road, in hotels etc. Like our classroom training the material is fully accredited and will prepare you for the MSP Foundation and Practitioner exams. Sometimes, online learning can be too flexible so you need to be disciplined and set yourself a clear schedule. If you are working in a corporate environment we recommend using mentors to keep you on track. MSP instructor led training is the quickest route to MSP certification - it is all done in 5 days. During a classroom event, you get access to a MSP approved trainer and many students say that the Trainer's insights and enthusiasm increase their understanding of the methodology. The opportunity to ask specific questions and get immediate answers is one of the biggest benefits of instructor led training. There are also invaluable networking opportunities so you can share and learn from other's experiences.
I am thinking about buying the MSP manual and self-studying?
If you are doing this for cost reasons, it’s a mistake. Our e-learning package includes everything and are built to save you money and trouble. Our fully accredited e-learning package includes online lessons, the latest practice exam questions, shipping, examination costs and proctor fees there is nothing else to pay. And you have a higher chance of passing your MSP exams. Self-study students have a lower exam pass rate than those who have taken online or instructor led training.
How many PDUs do I get for this course?
PMPs can claim 40 PDUs at the PMI for the MSP Online Foundation and Practitioner course. (20 Technical PDUs, 10 Leadership PDUs, 10 Strategic PDUs).